Tuesday, May 10, 2011

HAIRLARIOUS! At what age 'should' I cut my hair??? The great DEBATE!!!

Hello and Happy Tuesday

My theme for tonight is something most women (and men) think about whether its about themselves or their mothers, friends, aunties, celebrities and even grandmothers...... 

WHEN ARE YOU TOO OLD TO HAVE LONG HAIR?

It all started when one of my best friend's - Kini, told me she was thinking of growing her hair back to a bob from her current short, boyish, crop cut. Mind you, she could be bald and still look amazing. She has already let her hair go grey and (yeah) she looks hot!
Kini was concerned about having a GREY Bob!  I said, firstly she would look good in anything and secondly that supermodel Kirsten McMenamy stopped colouring her hair years ago and has featured on two Vogue Covers (let alone editorial) this year, at the age of 46!  Here she is....









Okay, so we are not all Supermodels! But she is definitely putting Grey out there - I love it!

Kini and I discussed....The worst thing is, when you are passing someone, and from behind their hair looks glorious and youthful BUT when you get to the front, the face is old and craggy - it can be such a disappointment. 

'Is it my problem or theirs'? MMmmmmm....

HAIRDRESSER'S OPINION

Funnily enough, I was having my colour done today by the fabulous Paula Mansfield (she has been doing my hair for over 10 years and I love her work - please email me for her number).  So, I ask her advice, what does she think? I wanted to nail her on what is right or wrong.  Guess what, there is no right or wrong but there are definitely opinions.

What we got down to was... if you're over 40 (or even a little younger) and you have a  face which is showing signs of age and your hair is not lustrous then CUT IT!  And it doesn't need to be short - it could be a layered shoulder length style. YOU WILL NOT LOOK POLISHED UNLESS YOU DO!

HUGELY  IMPORTANT is that your hair COLOUR suits you.  For instance, I realised about two years ago I couldn't do the Nordic Blonde anymore, it just showed up every defect in my face.  I need warmth and texture.  I am so much happier now.
Look at Trinny and Susannah, they keep their hair at a good length - which is still longish and pretty but not channeling a schoolgirl.  They also keep it well maintained and are able to make sure it looks good for any occasion.

WOMEN who are THEIR HAIR...

After speaking with Becca this evening I realised that it is all up to the individual.  Becca offered (as reference) the fabulous Grace Coddington (fashion Director VOGUE USA) - her Hair is her Signature! It's a thick wild mane of Red Hair...

Now....


In 1962..


I guess what it all boils down to, is being aware of what suits you and what doesn't.  Don't stay stuck in an era.  Long hair can drag you down and short hair can give you grace. 

IF YOU ARE NOT SURE... ask your hairdresser, best friend or stylist what they honestly think about your hair, Honestly!

For more details about my colourist - Paula Mansfield, please shoot me an email. Paula works privately from home.  Her prices are very reasonable and her skill is EXCELLENT!


Looking forward to hearing your comments
Joey
x

If you need any help with your style please contact me at jo@styleincorporated.com.au 

1 comment:

  1. Every time I visit the hairdresser I ask her if it is TIME? I'm pretty sure I look 17 from behind but getting away with the long hair for now. Great blog. xx

    ReplyDelete